All Saints Church
All Saints Church, designed by Stevens of Derby and built between 1852 & 1853, was consecrated on July 18th 1853 by the Bishop of Lichfield and stands at the north-east corner of the village, at the top of Church Lane. It has a wonderfully kept and large four-acre graveyard which sweeps down the hillside to the north east and overlooks the Scarsdale Valley, with the evocative ruins of Sutton Scarsdale Hall visible a mile away, and the magnificent Bolsover Castle standing atop the crest of the opposite range of hills. The present church replaced the original Norman church, whose abandoned ruins can still be found further east along a road which originally led down into the valley to the long vanished hamlet of Lunt.
For the website, see http://www.heath-holmewoodchurch.org/
For out of hours church related queries, please phone Ivan Spenceley on 07831 428638.
The Hall is located in the centre of the village on Main Street. The green in front of the building has been the site of Heath’s well dressing every year since 1981. The double doors in the building hark back to the 1920’s, when Heath farmers operated a co-operative from here. Seed, bought in bulk, was stored here and loaded through these doors. As noted in our “News” section, we have recently secured lottery funding to update the Hall’s facilities for the benefit of the local community. If you would like to see a copy of the plan for future hall use after refurbishment, please contact the Secretary under the “Contacts & Useful Links” tab.
Elm Tree Pub & Restaurant
The Elm Tree possibly dates originally from the late 1700s. By 1881, it was a fully-fledged Inn, named after the ancient tree within its grounds. The modern, refurbished establishment is well served with superb views, extensive rear gardens, car parking and a large children’s play area, and serves excellent food, fine wines and good ale at lunch times and evenings.